Friday, August 10, 2007

The Circularity of Life

Here's a typically beautiful Peggy Noonan column about the intersection of two men I've been privileged to work for, Gen. Petraeus and former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist. Here, of course, I'm advising Petraeus's rule of law efforts, and Frist I interned for in winter 1997 (when he was a freshman legislator over a decade ago). In both cases, I've been allowed to perform a wide array of tasks and learn the behind-the-scenes dealings of awesome and humbling offices -- though I haven't had to open Gen. Petraeus's mail (yet).

Here's a snippet of Noonan:
What does it all mean? Life is interesting, mysterious, and has an unseen
circularity. You never know in any given day what's going to happen or who's
going to have a big impact on you and on others. A future military commander got
shot, and a future leader of the Senate stopped the bleeding.

Both men, incidentally, share my affiliation with Princeton and its Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, which has put a renewed emphasis of late on public service.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

More metaphysics if not for perspective at least for amusement..although I think you can cover both functions. rc