Saturday, August 11, 2007

Watery Rubbish

Accuse me if you will of linking too often to the New York Times, but that paper provides such rich blog fodder ("blodder"?).

Just now I read an article on how a backlash against bottled water is developing among the smart (read urban liberal) set. It infuriated me, but I'll spare you my picking apart nearly every person figuring in the piece.

I mean, c'mon people, we throw out so much stuff, why single out water? Moreover, most recycling uses up more energy than you save. (I don't mean re-using the same bottle, obviously, but rather bottles made from recycled materials.) And you know what else? -- buying bottled water spurs the economy (just like buying any other consumer good), and you bleeding hearts with your heads in the clouds wouldn't want little children to starve because their mommies and daddies lost their jobs in plastic engineering, now would you?

And I'm not saying all the above because my current daily consumption rate is about 6-8 bottles/day (along with 3-4 iced teas, 1-2 Gatorades, and several 100% juice drinking boxes). Mmmm... writing all this has made me thirsty. Time to go to one of the refrigerated palettes we have sitting around and pick up some more future trash and the refreshing liquid it holds inside.

No comments: