Monday, August 27, 2007

Friedman's Blind Spot

Lest my last post be taken as too much of a softening on my hard line against what I consider to be Tom Friedman's formulaic writing -- "When I was recently in [foreign city], I spoke to [high official/man-on-the-street-with-exotic-background], and he told me that [clever sound bite that seems to revolutionize international relations theory but not really]. -- I should mention one glaring slip of his tongue. Or rather an omission of the tongue.

At one point during his presentation, Friedman ran through a long list of agents of change regarding the end of the Cold War and changing the former Soviet Union from going in a negative direction to going in a positive one. "George Bush, Jim Baker, Brent Scowcroft, Helmut Kohl, Francois Mitterand, [Mikhail] Gorbachev, [Eduard] Shevardnadze." Um... Reagan?

No comments: