Saturday, July 14, 2007

First Day of "Boot Camp"

Today I flew down to Atlanta and took a shuttle from the airport to Fort Benning, about an hour and a half away. Here I'm doing training at CRC -- CONUS (Continental US) Replacement Center -- which seems to consist of a variety of administrative tasks, as well as seminars on IEDs ("This is a bomb. Do not drive over it."), first aid, and a bunch of abbreviations with which I'm not yet familiar. The setup is impressive; weekly funneling hundreds of contractors, civilian DoD employees, and active duty military (those who are re-deploying) through all these training modules. Plus coordinating meals, issuing gear (I'll be getting my body armor soon), writing wills and powers of attorney, and a host of other logistical operations.

But it feels like summer camp. When I first got to the base, in a heat and humidity that, unseasonably for these parts, was more than tolerable, they assigned me a room in the barracks. Next I picked up linens, a pillow, and a mattress pad. Then I hauled my one duffel of personal effects, plus my laptop-containing knapsack, to the aforementioned barracks -- a large cabin with rooms housing four people on two bunk-beds! Claiming a top bunk for the first time since college, I threw my gear in the bedside locker and headed out for the initial briefing of my newly assigned group (gang? tribe? platoon?): Bravo Company!

I had arrived.

No comments: