Sunday, July 22, 2007

First Impressions

Hot and dusty, with palm trees in the Green Zone but mainly scrub elsewhere. If this was once the cradle of civilization, civilization has come a long way. The brightness of the light is impressive.

My first stop was Camp Victory, the headquarters of the coalition forces (Multi-National Forces Iraq, or MNFI). The first building I entered, not counting the mess hall at the air base, was Saddam's "Victory Palace." It's an imposing structure surrounded by artificial lakes and canals. Beautiful, really, if it weren't for the sandstorms and broiling heat. Gorgeous marble inside -- definitely the US Army's best latrines -- but shoddy workmanship. Got briefings on the MNFI's rule of law efforts, but had to excuse myself in the middle of one of them because I was dying of jet lag. Set my head down on my boss's desk for an hour, then it was time to move on to the International Zone (aka IZ or Green Zone), where I'm living and working.

I can't detail the convoy arrangements for getting from Camp Victory to the IZ, but they were fascinating and clearly well thought out. Apparently the IEDs and ambushes have increased of late, so they spare no precautions. I wore my full body armor (including side, shoulder, neck, and groin attachments) for the trip, but the mood inside the vehicle that carried me was determined, almost ebullient. I felt safe in the presence of all these armed warriors.

In short, every moment I spend with the military professionals charged with executing Operation Iraqi Freedom increases my confidence -- and my belief that we can succeed in this mission if given the time and political space. That's a big if.

No comments: