Sunday, July 15, 2007

Hurry Up and Wait

I'd come across the expression "hurry up and wait" a few times before, in reading about the military or conversing with buddies who had lived that life. Now I've come to experience it. We are repeatedly told to make "formation" at a certain time (this morning it was 0700), and then have to wait to get called to go form a line somewhere, wait some more there, do some administrative task that takes five minutes, wait somewhere else, etc. This afternoon we were explicitly told that tomorrow would be a "hurry up and wait day" because five doctors -- actually physician's assistants -- have to go through 500 people to medically clear us for transport to various locations (mainly Afghanistan and Iraq). We were also told to bring a book or other source of entertainment. Luckily, I have several inches of background legal-political reading to do ahead of my work in-theater, as well as 6-7 books that I brought along for the ride. I just hope I don't get through what I was expecting to be a two-month supply of reading material in one week...

Oh, and we also had some training on surviving a kidnapping or hostage-taking. Fascinating -- though I wonder whether it wouldn't have been more effective to give us a few lessons of Krav Maga (the mixed martial art developed by the Israeli military).

1 comment:

Janel l'a dit... said...

Gosh, that must have been such an odd experience, training on surviving a kidnapping...

I agree. I am surprised they do not teach Krav Maga as it is extremely effective. With practice, it essentially enables you to become a human weapon.