Monday, July 23, 2007

Marriage of Extreme Convenience

Related to my previous post, I coincidentally noticed in this morning's Stars and Stripes (the daily military newspaper) an ad for a marriage service. No, the Pentagon hasn't dreamed up a scheme a la Mario Vargas Llosa's Pantaleon y las Visitadoras, but rather I refer to the possibility, under the laws of certain states, of marrying someone while not physically being present at the ceremony. Instead, you witness the ceremony over video-link (or, sometimes, phone), while somebody stands in for you.

This is known as a "proxy" marriage, and the practice is popular in two segments of the population: the military and those trying to get their foreign fiance(e) into the country (foreigners married to Americans get provisional green cards).

And, as I deal with all the headaches caused by my having been naturalized on the wrong side of Lake Ontario, a proxy (if not "sham") marriage gains appeal. But my girlfriend would never go for it; she's such a traditionalist!