Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Heavily Armored Pin-Cushion

Last night I assembled my body armor (inserting plates, attaching supplemental bits -- nice of them to issue a groin piece) and got name patches for my ACU (all-purpose combat uniform) and hat. Even if I'm not a soldier, I'll sure be able to play the part! Especially after Thursday's weapons training.

Today was less exciting, less involved, but, quite literally, more painful. The lieutenant tasked with holding my hand this week picked me up and took me to the "med shed" for my medical/optical/dental screening. I'm in fine health but nobody told me to bring any medical records to CRC so I had to undergo a full panel of vaccinations: tetanus, typhoid, TB test, MMR, polio, and something else. Plus they drew two vials of blood. (I opted out of smallpox and anthrax, which are especially painful and annoying.) Would there be any side-effects, I asked the doc. You might feel a bit achy, maybe a little feverish, he said, advising that I take Tylenol and Advil over the next 48-72hrs. And take it easy, no PT (not that even a mad dog or limey would go for a run in Georgia between the hours of 1000 and 1900)...

OK, so I guess I'll just hang out at my distinguished quarters, watch some distinguished TV, and take a distinguished nap... which I did, and then went to see the new animated film, Ratatouille, which I highly recommend.

No comments: